Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Lakeside Memories

The design inspiration for my card came from Can You Case It? Sketch Challenge #114. My family consists of plenty of men (I grew up with three brothers and also have nephews) so I can always use a masculine card. My card is reminiscent of time spent on the water, not an uncommon theme for me.

The challenge sketch was switched from left to right in order to place the boat image toward the bottom of the card.


The lower left portion was colored with alcohol markers and then stamped with the reeds in the foreground. The sky was lightly sponged and birds in flight just simply drawn with a black marker. The upper right image of shore birds was stamped then lightly sponged over. Washi tape was added for a diagonal stripe. The buttons were sewn on by sewing machine and the jute was wound around the buttons then tied into two reef knots anchored with glue dots. The focal panel was adhered to another panel, revealing color on the right edge and then adhered to a card base. The sentiment was stamped, punched and then popped up on the card with foam tape.The card base was lined with a panel of white cardstock decorated with stamped shore birds.

Be sure to stop by CYCI114 and join in the challenge fun!

Techniques: Stamping, sponging, coloring, sewing (buttons), punch cutting
Size: A2 (4.25" x 5.5")

Materials are Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted:
Stamps: Moon Lake, Wetlands, Work of Art
Inks: Soft Suede, Soft Sky, Coastal Cabana, Mossy Meadow, Memento Tuxedo Black, Spectrum Noir alcohol markers
Cardstock: Whisper White, Soft Suede, Coastal Cabana
Punch: Word Window
Misc.: Dimensionals foam, 5/8" buttons (stash), brown jute cord, Washi tape, Bernina sewing machine










3 comments:

  1. Great design Melanie! Love the colors that you used and the mixing of the two stamp sets. Perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did with the buttons - what a unique idea! Your colouring is exquisite and creates a gorgeous scene... I can just picture myself there. Such a "handsome" card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, I need that boat image...where did you get it...send me an email where you got it. In fact I want to scrap-lift your card and add the fishing elements to it for a birthday card for my fisherman grandson. Great card.

    ReplyDelete